Depth of Field Episode #2:
Navigating Your Dream Job through Confrontation with Filmmaker Hope Hall
CLICK TO WATCH/LISTEN TO THIS EPISODE
Here’s what to expect from this episode:
In this episode of Depth of Field, host Penny De Los Santos interviews Hope Hall, a filmmaker and storyteller who served as Obama's personal videographer for eight years. Hope shares her journey of creative struggle and uncertainty in her career, and how she overcame it.
Creativity starts from within: As Hope eloquently puts it, creativity is really about our interior world and how healthy it is. Our level of creativity and inspiration often reflects the state of our inner being and is key to unlocking our creative potential.
Embrace the waves of life: Life is full of ups and downs, and our creative energy fluctuates along with it. Hope reminds us that it's okay to experience moments of frustration, feeling uninspired, or even lost. Instead of resisting these feelings, we should embrace them and understand that change is the only constant. By facing the waves, we can navigate through different phases of our personal and professional growth.
Surround yourself with a support system: Hope emphasizes the importance of building circles of supporters, advisors, and mentors around us. Having a strong support system not only provides guidance and inspiration but also helps us navigate the challenges that come with personal growth.
Tune in for an insightful conversation about the power of collaboration, friendship, and finding inspiration in unexpected places.
Topics covered on this episode:
- Navigating adversity and challenges in the workplace (working with people who just really, really suck)
- Creating the conditions of your environment
- The importance of collaborating, listening, and showing up early
- Seeking out supportive mentors and advisors
- Being adaptable, or “getting squishy with it”
Connect with Penny:
- Watch the video of this episode and many more on YouTube
- Find more episodes and learn how to work with Penny at pennydelossantos.com
- Keep up with Penny and the Depth of Field podcast on Instagram at @pennydelossantos.
- Episode 02: Finding Your Voice as a Storyteller with National Geographic Photo Editor Elizabeth Krist
- Episode 3: Focusing on the Work with Creative Director Tirso Gamboa
- Episode 04: Discovering Inspiration through Podcasting with Photographer & Creative Director Penny De Los Santos
More about Depth of Field: A Creative Change in Perspective
Find inspiration and creativity with your host Penny De Los Santos. Listen to interviews with other visual storytellers, photographers, chefs, mentors, editors, and creative directors about those times in our creative lives when we feel a little lost and uninspired.
Penny is a photographer, director, and a visual storyteller, with over 20 years of experience in the photography industry.