Depth of Field Episode #4:
Focusing on the Work with Creative Director Tirso Gamboa
CLICK TO WATCH/LISTEN TO THIS EPISODE
Here’s what to expect from this episode:
In this episode of Depth of Field, host Penny De Los Santos is joined by Tirso Gamboa, a creative director in New York City. Tirso has an impressive background in design and shares his insights on finding new ideas and staying motivated.
Finding inspiration in unexpected places: Tirso shares how he finds inspiration through food, travel, and music. He believes that connecting with different cultures and experiences can spark creativity and fresh perspectives.
The importance of a portfolio: Tirso explains what he looks for in a portfolio when hiring photographers and creatives, why it is important to curate a portfolio you are proud of, what can ruin his impression, and why he does not check social media profiles.
Focus on the work: Tirso emphasizes the importance of prioritizing the work and not giving up. Whether you're just starting out or are already in the midst of your career, dedicating yourself to honing your craft is crucial to success.
Check out their discussion to learn about finding inspiration, the current and future industry trends, and how to build a successful career as a creative.
Topics covered on this episode:
- Advice for finding fresh perspectives when you are in a creative rut
- The importance of travel and new experiences for inspiration
- How to keep a log of ideas for future use
- Shifts and trends in the industry
- Why a creative director hires certain photographers for projects
- What Tirso looks for with portfolios (and doesn’t look for!)
- Focusing on the work
Connect with Penny:
- Watch the video of this episode and many more on YouTube
- Find more episodes and learn how to work with Penny at pennydelossantos.com
- Keep up with Penny and the Depth of Field podcast on Instagram at @pennydelossantos.
- Episode 01: Navigating Your Dream Job through Confrontation with Filmmaker Hope Hall
- Episode 02: Finding Your Voice as a Storyteller with National Geographic Photo Editor Elizabeth Krist
- Episode 03: Discovering Inspiration through Podcasting with Photographer & Creative Director Penny De Los Santos
More about Depth of Field: A Creative Change in Perspective
Find inspiration and creativity with your host Penny De Los Santos. Listen to interviews with other visual storytellers, photographers, chefs, mentors, editors, and creative directors about those times in our creative lives when we feel a little lost and uninspired.
Penny is a photographer, director, and a visual storyteller, with over 20 years of experience in the photography industry.